In most cases, the natural color of teeth is within a range of light greyish-yellow shades. Teeth naturally darken with age and their appearance can be affected by the accumulation of surface stains acquired from the use of tobacco products and the consumption of certain foods or drinks. Although teeth are not naturally meant to be completely white, dental clinics observed that a lot of people wants a brighter smile. However, dental clinics in Manila made a few points to teeth whitening.
- Whitening treatments can be effective on both extrinsic and intrinsic staining.
- Whitening may not be an option for all patients, for example, in people with tooth-colored restorations.
- The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry discourages full-arch cosmetic bleaching for children with mixed dentition because it can result in a mismatched dental appearance when the permanent dentition erupts.
- Safe and effective whitening options are available for in-office applications, dentist-supplied products for use at-home and over-the-counter whiteners.
- Temporary tooth sensitivity and gingival inflammation are potential adverse effects associated with whitening.