There are a few natural teeth whitening methods you can try at your home. These can range from the use of everyday household ingredients to the mixture of different compounds available. Nonetheless, these methods will help whiten your teeth over the course of a couple of weeks if done consistently. Try and remember that all of these methods are doable at home and they do not involve visiting the dentist. So, here are 8 natural teeth whitening methods you can try at home.
The Best Natural Teeth Whitening Methods
8. Drink Water
Our saliva has many functions. One of these functions is the act of cleaning our teeth naturally. So, what happens if we don’t have enough saliva? Well, you can always start drinking the recommended volume of water. Water helps remove bits of stuck in your teeth that causes tooth decay. Tooth decay equals yellow and darkened teeth.
Probably the most well-known and basic natural teeth whitening method, brushing your teeth for twice a day can whiten teeth. Sure, it may not be a dramatic change overnight nor will the effect be seen in just a week’s time. However, by brushing your teeth every day for twice a day, you are maintaining it’s current color. Think of this method as maintenance if you want to keep the shine of your teeth. It also helps to start flossing and using mouthwash.
6. No More Staining
What causes tooth discoloration in the first place? Staining. Drinks such as coffee, wine, and soda are the number one culprits for discoloration. Taking too much of those drink can cause our teeth to yellow and thus the problem starts.
However, if you can’t lay off your coffee or your soda, then be sure to counteract with brushing. Brushing your teeth can help remove the staining effects that these liquids can give you.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Now, on to a proper method of whitening teeth. The use of apple cider vinegar as a health benefit might sound familiar to you. However, what you may not know is that is can actually help whiten your teeth.
To do this method, simply soak a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar and gently rub it on your teeth. Make sure to rinse your teeth with warm water afterward because apple cider is quite acidic. Failing to do so may damage the enamel on your teeth.
Strawberries are one of those fruits that were made to whiten your teeth. Their high malic acid contents give help remove bacteria and whiten teeth.
You can either just eat them on a daily basis or you can try another method. You can slice a strawberry in half and rub your teeth with the exposed half. This method is especially popular among celebrities as it promotes natural teeth whitening.
3. Oil Pulling
Out of all the methods that’s on this list, oil pulling is probably the most talked about. It’s a method that’s been tried and tested many times throughout many years. To put it simply, oil pulling involves the use of coconut oil to rinse your teeth with. It might sound a bit disgusting at first but it actually works. Coconut oil helps fight bacteria, removes stains, and more. To do this method, follow the instructions below:
- Take a tablespoon of coconut oil. You might want to let it melt under room temperature.
- Place the coconut oil inside your mouth and start rinsing.
- Don’t gargle it. Simple swish it around your teeth.
- Do this for at least a minute before spitting out.
- Proceed to brush your teeth as normal.
- This method is best done after you wake up on an empty stomach.
2. Going On A Healthy Diet
Eating foods that help whiten teeth can be big factor in your efforts. Aside from strawberries, there are also a few fruits and vegetables that actually helps whiten teeth. Here are a few.
- Apples high water content helps wash away any bacteria that may get stuck on our teeth. In addition, it’s crunchy exterior acts as a natural teeth scrub that removes stains.
- Before you go ahead and start steaming brocollis, stop and listen. Brocolli also acts as a natual way to whiten teeth. Of course, if you don’t to snack on raw brocolli then you can always use its source of iron to strengthen the enamel that coats your teeth.
- Hardblock cheese is a great source for calcium. What is our teeth made of? Calcium. By strengthening our teeth, you are protecting it from the damage that may cause its discoloration.
- Lemons and Oranges
- Now this method is actually quite different. It doesn’t involve your eating it directly but instead using its peeles. Wash an orange peel thoroughly and rub its interior against your teeth. It is said that it helps removes stains and neutralizes bacteria that harms the teeth. Lastly, rinse your teeth with water after doing this method.
1. Stop Smoking
One of the worst ways to stain and yellow the teeth is through smoking. It’s a case known far and wide because dentists and scientists have validated it. Smoking is bad no matter what, be it for your teeth or your health. If you want to take a big step in your efforts for healthier teeth, then it’s advised to try and stop smoking.
The best time to start whitening our teeth is probably this instant. Remember, these methods can take a while before their effects can be seen. If you don’t want to pay the high cost for a dental whitening service, then be sure to do this methods with diligence and discipline. These natural teeth whitening methods are easy to do, so making an effort in doing them is next to nothing.
You might start to think that whitening your teeth may not seem to promote healthier teeth. However, if you noticed, most of these methods do promote the latter. By strengthening your enamel, you’re protecting your teeth. By brushing everyday, laying off the sugary drinks, and eating a healthier diet, you are protecting your teeth. Sure, whiter teeth may not always mean that it’s healthy but the method of attaining it is.